Project Associate, High Altitudes
I interact closely with local communities and government agencies to support the implementation of our conservation plans within the programme in Spiti and Ladakh. I also support research activities within the programme.
I was an engineer in my past life.
- Conference Proceedings2018Snow leopard and prey: Landscape-level distribution modeling & impacts of migratory livestock grazing in Symposium Assimilated Knowledges: an integrated approach to conservation in snow leopard landscapesConservation Asia, 2018, Society for Conservation Biology
- Popular Article2016Managing man’s best friend in a Trans-Himalayan landscapeFeature in Current Conservation, Issue 10.1
- Book Chapter2016South Asia: India. In Snow leopards. Biodiversity of the world: conservation from genes to landscapes. Series editor: Philip J. Nyhus, Volume editors: Thomas McCarthy, David Mallon.Elsevier - Academic Press, Pages 457-469, ISBN: 978-0-12-802213-9Download
PDF, 4.31 MB
India has a rich natural history record from the Himalaya spanning over a century. In this paper we provide an overview of existing knowledge on snow leopard, especially from the more recent studies. A knowledge gap analysis revealed barely 3% of its range is relatively well studied, although snow leopards occur pervasively across ca. 100,000 km2 in the Indian Himalaya. Only 37% of its range appears to be ‘good’ habitat. Based on recent density estimates and their extrapolation over the range, India is likely to support about 500 snow leopards. Threats vary regionally, but livestock grazing by migratory herders and recent developmental pressures appear to be the most serious conservation issues threatening snow leopard and other wildlife in the snow leopard range. Given the pervasive snow leopard occurrence and human pressures, the general consensus and national strategy is to formulate and implement knowledge based, participatory programmes over large landscapes.
- Popular Article2014The khirava's caveThe Hindu in School, 30 July
- Popular Article2014Surprise sighting in SpitiThe Hindu in School, 6 August
- Popular Article2014Meat momos for everyone!The Hindu in School, 13 August