Scientist, Western Ghats
• PhD (2000-2007) in Zoology, Mumbai University, Mumbai. (through Bombay Natural History Society -BNHS).
• MSc. (1996-1998) in Wildlife Biology, A.V.C. College, Mayiladuthurai, Tamil Nadu.
• BSc. (1993 –1996) in Zoology from Periyar E.V.R. College, Tiruchirapalli, Tamil Nadu.
My research interest lies in applied ecological aspects such as the conservation biology of endangered bird species, habitat monitoring, and on-ground conservation action. I am equally interested in nature education and outreach.
Endangered species research and conservation - I have been involved in research and conservation of the critically endangered Jerdon’s Courser since 2000. For this project (2000-2008) I worked with a team of wildlife biologists from BNHS, RSPB, UK, Universities of Cambridge & Reading, UK.
Rainforest Research Team - Since 2008 I am a part of the NCF rainforest research team at Anamalai hills, southern Western Ghats. I have been involved in conducting conservation education programs and carrying out bird surveys in this landscape.
Outreach and Citizen Science - Since 2016 I have been involved in coordinating and conducting seasonwatch program in Tamil Nadu. I am a part of Tamil Birders Network. Through this network I organise bird surveys and other activities related to birding.
Language and Ecology - I have been working towards popularizing the importance of nature writing in local languages through workshops. I blog in Tamil at http://uyiri.wordpress.com/.
Other interests - Birding, philately, numismatics, photography and dancing (mainly Dappanguthu) are some my hobbies. I am a Wikipedian. I contribute images to Wikimedia commons (See here). Most of my images are categorized under an open initiative WikiProject Nature and Conservation in India.
Saving the endangered Jerdon's Courser
Jerdon's Courser Recovery Programme
- Popular Article2019கருவயிற்று ஆலாவின் வாழ்க்கை (Karuvayitru Alavin Vazkkai). (On Black-bellied tern and sand mining in Kaveri river)The Hindu Tamil News Daily, Uyirmoochu Supplement. 12th January 2019.
Jeganathan, P. (2019). Karuvayitru Alavin Vazkkai (On Black-bellied tern and sand mining in Kaveri river). The Hindu Tamil News Daily, Uyirmoochu Supplement. 12th January 2019.Link here.
- Popular Article2019பறவைகளை வடிக்கும் இயற்கை ஓவியர் (Interview with Sivakumar, An artist and birder from The Forest Way, Tiruvannamalai)The Hindu Magazine - Pongal Special issue– January 2019. Pp – 130-137
Jeganathan, P. (2019). Paravaigalai Vadikkum Iyarkai Oviyar (The Hindu link here).
- Popular Article2019Leaves us speechlessThe Hindu. In school, 6th January.Download
PDF, 11.2 MB
Jeganathan, P. (2019). Leaves us speechless. The Hindu. In school, 6th January.
- Popular Article2019பறவைப் பித்தர்கள் (Crazy birders of Tamil Nadu)The Hindu Tamil News Daily, Uyirmoochu Supplement. 16th March 2019.
Jeganathan, P. (2019). Paravaip Pithargal (on birders of Tamil Nadu). Link here.
- Popular Article2018Kalidassin Venval manjal sittu காளிதாசின் வெண் வால் மஞ்சள்சிட்டுUyir Tamil Magazine for Nature. May-June 2018. Pp 19-20.
Jeganathan, P. (2018). Kalidassin Venval manjal sittu - Kalidass and White-tailed Iora. (Obituary for Mr. Kalidass, Birder from Tamil Nadu). Uyir Tamil Magazine for Nature. May-June 2018. Pp 19-20.
- Popular Article2018Iyarkai Pathukappu sarntha padipugal (Academic Coursers related to Nature Conservation in India)The Hindu Tamil Year Book 2019. KLS Media Ltd. Chennai – 2. Pp. 287-297.
Jeganathan, P. (2018). Iyarkai Pathukappu sarntha padipugal (Coursers related to Nature Conservation in India).
See locations of the institutions mentioned in this map here
- Popular Article2018Kolap Paravaigal கோலப் பறவைகள்The Hindu Tamil News Daily, Uyirmoochu Supplement. 27th January
Jeganathan, P. (2018). Kolap Paravaigal (On birds in Pongal Kolam (Rangoli) in Tamil Nadu). The Hindu Tamil News Daily, Uyirmoochu Supplement. 27th January 2018.Link here.
- Book Review2018Not just a waste – Book Review of ‘The Poop book’SAEVUS Magazine. December 2018. Pp 24-25.
Jeganathan, P. (2018). Not just a waste – Book Review of ‘The Poop book’. SAEVUS Magazine. December 2018. Pp 24-25.
- Journal Article2018Seasonal variation in wildlife roadkills in plantations and tropical rainforest in the Anamalai Hills, Western Ghats, IndiaCurrent Science. 114(3): 619-626.
- Popular Article2018Nadiyai Nadi நாடியை நாடிThe Hindu Tamil News Daily, Uyirmoochu Supplement. 8th September 2018.
Jeganathan, P. (2018). Nadiyai Nadi (On watching Lesser Noddy in Tamil Nadu). The Hindu Tamil News Daily, Uyirmoochu Supplement. 8th September 2018.Link here.